Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  baseball score bug using Xpression only.

MalThePal
    Posted 6 days ago
    I have a client who uses just Xpression for their sports displays (no dashboard). What is the best way to show runners on base without having to take the bug offline and back on? I have an outline of the three bases for no runners on. With each base being occupied I have a material on a quad that is either visible or not. But I want to update this status without taking the scene offline. As always, thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Malcolm Thorpe
    Free Lance Xpression Designer/Carbonite TD

• 2.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

Ross Staff
    Posted 6 days ago
    I imagine there is some reason you can't do it this way, but....
    If you modify the Template Data of a Take Item while it is online and just trigger it online again (take it again) it will update the on-air take item without taking it offline. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work for all scenarios because of animated scene directors or something.

• 3.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

Ross Staff
    Posted 5 days ago
    Mal,

Could the operator adjust Widgets for each base being occupied? You could create a Widget with a simple "Off" or "On" text list for each base, have Text Objects for all three bases tied to the Widget, then use Visual Logic to make the Quad visible for each base when its corresponding Text Object is set to "On." Since the Widgets update online like Datalinq can, and VL runs on every rendered frame, changing the Widgets would update the visibility of the online objects.

If you wanted all the bases to update at once (not base-by-base as the operator changes each widget individually) you could also create one widget with all 8 possible scenario for runners on bases, then use a bunch of String Compare blocks and an Or block for each base to set each quad's visibility based on that widget selection.

Jeff Mayer
    Ross Video

• 4.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

MalThePal
    Posted 5 days ago
    Thanks Jeff but I think I'm going to try and talk them into a little dashboard in the corner of the monitor. I'm a fan of dashboard instead of working directly in xpression.

Malcolm Thorpe

• 5.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

Posted 3 days ago
    Malcolm,
      I have mine set up for 2 different scenarios. 
    1. You can do a simple visible on/off and link those to dashboard (I used checkboxes for the bases);the buttons can be set to perform multiple on/off scenarios.

2. If you want to remain XPression only, I have a text list widget set up with each scenario (Clear, 1st, 2nd, 34d, 1st & 2nd, etc) and a script that tells which ones to turn on and off based on the text the widget is sending back - more or less what the buttons can do above.  You can probably set up keyboard commands for those as well if you choose to.

-Brian

Brian Bell
    Coordinating Designer
    ESPN INC.
    Charlotte United States

• 6.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

MalThePal
    Posted 3 days ago
    Thanks Brian,
    I really want to ease them into dashboard because it's so much more versatile and powerful. They were telling me that they had radio buttons for the bases but I couldn't make them update while the scene was online. I guess this is why I "get the big bucks".

Malcolm Thorpe

• 7.  RE: baseball score bug using Xpression only.

Ross Staff
    Posted 3 days ago
    Another way of doing it would be to create different scenes - outline & a scene for each base with each scene on a different layer, same framebuffer, put them in a group to make it look tidy then all that would have to happen is take each scene on/off to suit.

Jos Ford
    Ross Video