Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Basketball shot clock - Daktronics data feed

Posted 11-01-2022 23:02
    Hi all-

I've encountered a unusual situation that has really stumped me - hoping maybe someone else has seen this before and knows of a solution! I am working with a college site that has a Daktronics All-Sport 5000 controller in its basketball arena and we are using a Sportzcast to get an XML feed of the scoreboard data into Datalinq. Everything works as expected - with one exception.

The shot clock returns what I would call expected data from its highest point at 30 seconds all the way down to 5 seconds. Once it gets under 5 seconds, on the All-Sport controller it continues with expected behavior, which is to now add in decimal points (4.9, 4.8, 4.7, and so on). Here's the weird part - the data feed coming into Datalinq AND the clock in the arena are not getting the decimal point, so they now display as a two-digit number (49, 48, 47 and so forth). Every other venue I've seen in recent memory has a shot clock that displays tenths of a second. This venue apparently knows it's a weird issue, but doesn't have that capability.

Because the Datalinq is also getting the two-digit number, that's what is showing up on the Scorebug. So it will go 7, 6, 5, 49, 48, 47... which obviously looks very weird. I can't figure out a way to deal with this data in a manner that would be natural for the Scorebug, because as soon as we get to 3.0 seconds remaining, the data feed now has no way to distinguish between 30 seconds and the way 3.0 seconds is coming in (also 30). So I can't script something to change behavior once the clock gets below 5, because 3.0 is going to seem like 30, which is above five. And I can't just crop off the second digit, because then 25 seconds turns in to 2 seconds. I've lost an entire evening puzzling over this one, so any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Rob

------------------------------
    Rob Coons
    Director, StudentU
    Big Ten Network
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Basketball shot clock - Daktronics data feed

Ross Staff
    Posted 11-02-2022 09:11
    Wouldn't this be a Daktronics issue? Since they are generating the data and two devices are having the same issue from the same data feed?