Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Datalinq to first 3 filename characters

Posted 08-26-2022 11:38
    Hey community!  First time caller, long time listener. 

I have been running our still images with xpression for one of our shows.  I duplicated 98 .png files numbered 101-199 and datalinqed them to 99 sluglines in the sequencer.  As of now I have producers renaming their still images to numbers that match the preset .pngs in the target folder so they auto populate in the slugline upon delivery.  

Ive discovered their graphics program can batch output their stills to include a 100 number at the beginning of the filename which helps being able to see what the file is and what number it is in one line.  

Is there a way to get these sluglines in the sequencer to only look for the first 3 digits of a file so its only polling the 101 number and not the text description after it?  

Im guessing its a visual logic script or something.  Any pointing in the general direction would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Tim Jacobs
    TD
    NBC
    CA, USA

• 2.  RE: Datalinq to first 3 filename characters

Ross Staff
    Posted 08-26-2022 15:04
    If you are on newer version of XPression you could use dynamic materials and datalinq keys. 

The datalinq key can be a value or even you can use %relid% which takes the number relative to your takeID. 
    Here's a video on datalinq keys. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr-p6xv7EuM 

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Datalinq to first 3 filename characters

Posted 08-26-2022 15:19

Thanks for that!!! Although we aren't on the latest version, I still researched dynamic datalinq, but the real question is whether I can use %relid% to poll only the first 3 characters of the file I need and not the entire string of characters. 

If a still is labeled "101-Paris Hilton.png", can I get the program to only see the 101, because tomorrows 101 will be "101-Harry styles" for example. Different file name which would break the datalinq, but same first 3 digits. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Tim Jacobs
    TD
    NBC
    CA, USA

• 4.  RE: Datalinq to first 3 filename characters

Ross Staff
    Posted 08-27-2022 06:49
    Well relid only works with humbers. 

You need to replace the word of the file with a macro.

eg, D:\Project\Images\101-@Text1@.png

Text1 would be a published field that you could type today's name into. 

If you want to combine with relid id you could write; 

D:\Project\Images\%relid%-@Text1@.png

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom