Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Posted 10-10-2022 17:00
    Hello all, I have a crawl (ticker) built on my layout side in a Scene Group with 2 scene of the same text looping.  I was hoping to use a global list to fill out my text scenes; but cannot seem to get it to work.

I would normally just use Datalinq to accomplish this but the powers that be did not purchase the license for Datalinq!   

What I would like to achieve is to enter my text into a hidden text field on the Scene Group Base Page (in the Sequencer) and have that text then automatically show up in the 2 child scenes; so that I do not have to type the text twice; to get the crawl to work properly (infinite loop).

Currently, I have to go to layout side and find the scene group, select each scene (in the group) and type the same text.  I would like to find a way to type it once on the sequencer side and have the text automatically fill out the crawl with the text I entered.

Can this be done with a global list?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Steve Szeszycki
    XPresssion Operator
    Los Angeles United States

• 2.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Posted 10-11-2022 01:53
    Hi Steve,

I don't think it might be better not to use a Global List. What you might be able to do is create 1 SceneGroup and 2 Scenes.

The SceneGroup contains the settings for the ticker/crawl and the background, 1 Scene (sceneTickerLayout; not a child of the SceneGroup) would contain the text layout for the ticker/crawl and 1 Scene (sceneTickerControl) would have one hidden TextObject (for the text you want to enter) and a script to create, fill, show and start the ticker/crawl.

In the script in sceneTickerControl, you would create a new copy of sceneTickerLayout, copy the text from the hidden TextObject of sceneTickerControl to the TextObject of sceneTickerLayout, and add the created scene copy to the SceneGroup. You do this twice in the script (since you want the text added twice to be able to loop the crawl/ticker), take the SceneGroup online from the script (on a different framebuffer/layer as sceneTickerControl obviously) and start the ticker/crawl (also from the script).

To use it you would only need to drag sceneTickerControl into the Sequencer, fill the hidden TextObject in Template Data and take it online (from the Sequencer). The rest is done by the script.

I hope it makes sense.

There are more solutions to the problem, but I think this would be one of them (unless I misinterpreted the problem).

Gerard de Vries
    Solution Architect Live Graphics & Virtual Graphics
    EMG
    The Netherlands

• 3.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Ross Staff
    Posted 10-11-2022 04:19
      |   view attached
    Hey Steve,

I have uploaded a project that does what I believe you want. 

In the parent scene there are 3 text objects, these can be filled in manually, when you take online the child scenes will copy from the parent. 

I built it for MOS workflows but it will work for you.

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

Attachment(s)

xpf
    MOS crawl.xpf   57 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Posted 10-12-2022 21:51
    Thanks so much Red; that worked perfectly.

Steve Szeszycki
    XPresssion Operator

• 5.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Ross Staff
    Posted 10-13-2022 04:59
    You're welcome :)

Simon Redmile
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Posted 10-19-2022 20:00
    Hi Red, 1 question though.  The project you sent along worked perfectly.  I am able to change the text (on sequencer side) and it changes the two child scenes, and plays correctly on my output.

However, my text changes are not showing up in my preview, so I copied the script onto the OnPreviewRender tab of the Script Editor (thinking this would solve the problem).  So now in the sequencer, my changes still don't show up in the preview window UNTIL I take the crawl/ticker to my output channel, THEN my text changes show up in preview.

Not a huge crutch to work with but was curious if I am doing something wrong.

I am using v10.0 build 5262

Thank you

Steve Szeszycki
    XPresssion Operator

• 7.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Ross Staff
    Posted 10-20-2022 05:54
    For me, preview works just fine. 

The preview is the parent scene only.

The 3 text fields.

Simon Redmile
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 8.  RE: Using GLOBAL LIST in a Crawl Scene Group

Posted 10-20-2022 22:23
    Yes I do see my published text field that I am updating on the parent scene in preview; But I also see the first child scene in my preview as well.  This may be because my ticker/crawl starts "ON SCREEN" and not off screen?

Anywho, it is working like I need it to.  Thanks for the help.

Steve Szeszycki
    XPresssion Operator