Graphics

View Only
  • 1.  XPression performance use increases when program window is not in focus

Posted 5 days ago
    Running into an issue where clicking out of focus from XPression (namely into web browsers) causes performance to spike and graphics to stutter-in some cases, timers will cease to keep accurate time (stops countdown, then catches up and resumes once I mouse-click back into XPression). 

I've run into this issue on several different machines over the past many years, and was wondering if there is any setting I am missing to prevent this from happening.

------------------------------
    Koji Kameda
    Broadcast Director
    Bento GG LLC

• 2.  RE: XPression performance use increases when program window is not in focus

Posted 2 days ago
    Would probably recommend to not use other applications while you have graphics on air in that machine.  While I am sure that is a normal workflow for most, a web browser can request a lot of resources from a machine depending on the webpage. - You might lessen the available recourses to the web browser that your computer allows it to have. - Or have a laptop near by in order to do the web look ups that you need to do.

Garrett Hall
    Overtime Elite

• 3.  RE: XPression performance use increases when program window is not in focus

Ross Staff
    Posted 2 days ago
    As Garrett recommends its best to avoid taking resources away from rendering if possible. 

Your browser choice can make a difference though, are you using Chrome with tabs open for example?

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom

• 4.  RE: XPression performance use increases when program window is not in focus

Posted 2 days ago

Yes-Microsoft Edge (Chromium) with tabs. 

Is there an alternative that would play better resource-wise

Koji Kameda
    Broadcast Director
    Bento GG LLC

• 5.  RE: XPression performance use increases when program window is not in focus

Ross Staff
    Posted yesterday
    You could try Opera or Firefox if you want a known browser but they may still take resources, Slim Browser which is very similar to firefox with a lot of the features but cutdown on resource requirements. 

There are even more aggressively lightweight browsers that lack the features of the common browsers, here's a list.
    https://www.makeuseof.com/best-browsers-old-low-end-computers/

This isn't an official list from Ross, the official comment would be don't use a browser as it will take resources from the GPU which you don't want when doing real-time as it's one of the most intensive things you can ask a computer to do. This is just me speculating you might be able to get away with a lightweight browser.

Simon Redmile
    Senior Graphic Programmer & Designer
    Ross Video
    Bristol United Kingdom